Thursday, February 25, 2016

Banana Muffins

This month of February has brought a few snow days, which means no school and no work! On one of the snow days the boys and I tried a new recipe. We made banana muffins! Our bananas were starting to go bad, so we thought we would be resourceful and make muffins out of them. On that note, we saw that our blueberries were going bad too, so we added them into the mix! They turned out well, and we have made them once a week since then!

My boys (especially Brayden) are notorious for wasting food. They will ask for something to eat, take a few bites, and then throw it in the garbage--then on top of that ask for another snack! I know they are kids, but wasting food is expensive, and I feel terrible throwing food away knowing there are others out there not knowing where their next meal may come from. This is a bother to both Brandon and I, so we have been teaching the boys not to waste food. I wanted to lead by example, so rather than throwing our bananas and blueberries away, we used them up by making something new!

Here is the recipe to our delicious muffins!

  • 3 ripe bananas
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 egg 
  • 1/3 cup melted butter
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • add blueberries just because :)  
Mash bananas in a mixing bowl. Add sugar and egg. Add butter. Stir. Add baking soda, baking powder, and flour. Stir. I added my blueberries last so they didn't get mashed.

Bake at 375 for 20 minutes, eat and enjoy! 

These also freeze well! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment